Autism Calgary Pokemon Club*
This is a family event.
The Pokemon Trading card game appears complicated to the Neurotypical Brain. That is because it was created by an Autistic person. Autistic kids and adults have been drawn to groups playing the game at Pokemon Leagues. Leagues provide a common interest in which adults and kids learn:
- A safe environment where it is okay to be different and in fact it may be an advantage
- Group interaction by playing each other’s decks
- Negotiation Skills by trading and creating decks
- Sharing and Support skills by sharing and supporting new players
- How to be part of group with like-minded peers
Many people have cards but have never learned to play, perhaps because they were unsure going to league would be okay. This is a safe place to come learn and be with a group.
Come try out our club whether to learn to play or help others play. Kids (bring a parent) and adults are welcome (most players are adults). Reasons to check us out:
- Safe non-judgmental environment
- We will help you learn how to play
- If you don’t have cards the club has several starter decks you can use, or you can build and take home your own deck from our donated cards
- If you are already an accomplished player come help out and be a part of the community
- Safe group facilitated by a father/son
- We will be a small group (at least to start) which should not be overwhelming from a sensory standpoint
Note sometimes it is hard to learn to play with rules, and meltdowns are okay, but it is required that we all learn to play fairly within the rules, so when we melt after a break we will commit to begin again and if necessary again…….
Every 1st & 3rd Tuesday from 6:30-8:30pm.
Autism Calgary NEW OFFICE – 3639-26 Street NE
*please keep in mind that caregiving is NOT available